Saturday, September 24, 2005

Birdman Of Union Square


Birdman Of Union Square, originally uploaded by lawroberts.

Lawrence Roberts says:

Born and raised in New York City, I am a professor of law at Fordham University. I have spent virtually my entire life in the world's greatest city.

My approach to photography is much the same as my approach to life. I look on it as an opportunity to experience something new, to learn, to grow and at the same time communicate what I've learned. Always evolving, my techniques are most often compared to the neo-pictorialists. The work is heavily dependent upon extensive alteration in Photoshop. The goal is to create images that are less photographic and more reminiscent of other art forms such as painting and sculpture. This is largely achieved through simplification of form and color.

I use 2 cameras for my source images. When I shoot with film, I use a Canon AE-1. When shooting with a digital camera, I use a cheap, generic 3.1 megapixel model.

For me, Flickr serves two very vital purposes. It is a wonderful way to learn by the example of a great many talented photographers. Just as importantly, Flickr facilitates the process of feedback for artists' work that allows them to hone their skills.

As helpful as Flickr is, it can sometimes feel as if one is "preaching to the choir." The NYC Exposition is an exceptional opportunity for artists to exchange ideas not only with other artists, but with the community at large.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Blogs That Flickr
BackNext
• Join •
Homepage


Official PayPal Seal