Saturday, September 24, 2005

young woman in a light shawl, sitting on a bench

Michael Seidman says:

Ah, about me...

I'm a gentleman of a certain age, retired after a career as an editor (novel length, generally crime fiction). Once upon a time, though, I thought about photography as a career--I was talked out of it by some people who wanted me to be a businessman. (Never was.)

Now with free time and the relative lack of expense playing in the digital darkroom, I'm back to taking pictures and then playing with them.

Photography fills my need for a creative outlet, it allows me to capture and present images of what I see...and sometimes of what might be seen by anyone who cares to look. I can't say I have a style or technique: I like pictures of people being people in whatever setting. I like pictures of things and stuff and nonsense. Whatever strikes my fancy, really. And then I go into my digital darkroom and do what storytellers do: I look and say what if? And then try to find an answer. Sometimes there are none, but there may be a pleasing image. If I can sit back and smile at what I see on monitor, I'm happy.

Once upon a time I hoped that Flickr or other photoblogs might lead to being discovered. Now I settle for the simple pleasure of sharing. There are people who like my work and tell me so (always gratifying), there are those who like it but don't say anything (at least they aren't being nasty) and those who don't care. But I don't know who they are, so I don't worry about it.

Participating in NYC Expo? That's the easiest one to answer. It supports the possibilities of what is a new and growing and exciting art form. It will go toward supporting a gallery that I think should be supported in a community that should be supported. And I live in New York, my work is done in New York and I think, in the end, the way see New York is, if not unique, at least sufficiently different to be of interest.

Beyond that, I don't know that there's anything of importance: married, grandfather, balding...

And having a damn fine time....

Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Blogs That Flickr
BackNext
• Join •
Homepage


Official PayPal Seal